top of page

Interpersonal Violence Resources




  1. During or immediately after a violent incident, call 911. If the police don't come to you, go to the station and make a voluntary statement concerning the incident.

  2. Get medical treatment (Urgent Care/hospital/doctor).

  3. Collect/preserve evidence of the domestic violence:

    • Take photographs of property damage and of your physical injuries (soft tissue injuries, such as swelling and bruising, show up best 1-2 days after the incident).

    • Get signed statements from people who saw/heard the violence happen, saw your injuries or saw the damage to your property (witnesses).

    • Keep broken pieces of property, torn or bloody clothing and weapons used by the other party in this incident, to show the police and the prosecutor.

  4. Get a Protection Order Against Domestic Violence from Family Court, located at 601 N. Pecos, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101 (702) 455-3400.

  5. Get a cell phone from a DV agency (free to victims); keep the cell phone and your protection order with you at all times.

  6. Report violations of your Protection Order:

    • If your abuser violates your TPO, call 911. Get/make a police report of the violation.

    • Collect/preserve evidence of the violation (same as #2 above, and in addition)

    • Make tape recordings of telephone calls or threats (first tell him/her you are recording the conversation).

    • Copy all notes/letters and the envelopes they came in.

    • Videotape visits/drive-bys including the date/time it occurred (you can film newspapers, television programs or telephone caller ID to verify the date/time of the video).

    • Keep a record of all telephone calls, improper visits, missed child support payments or problems with visitation.

    • Get medical treatment for injuries and keep a copy of the medical records.

  7. Enforce your Protection Order - Once the other party knows that there is a Protection Order against him/her, he/she may not violate the terms of that Order ​​

    • Criminal enforcement. Violation of a protection order is a crime. Call the police and make a report - he/she may be criminally prosecuted.

    • Civil enforcement. File an Order to Show Cause in Family Court. You should have some evidence of the violation so that a judge can find the other party in contempt - just saying it happened is usually not enough.

Legal Resources:

Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
725 E. Charleston Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Telephone: (702) 386.1070

North Las Vegas City Attorney’s Office

2332 Las Vegas Blvd. N. Suite

300 North Las Vegas, NV 89030

Telephone: (702) 633.2100

Nevada Legal Services

Las Vegas Office
530 South 6th St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Telephone: (702)386.0404


Reno Office
204 Marsh St. Suite 101
Reno, NV 89509
Telephone: (775) 284.3491


Elko Office
285 10th St.
Elko, NV 89801
Telephone: (775) 753.5880


Yerington Office
720 S. Main St. Unit A
Yerington, NV 89447
Telephone: (775) 463.1222


Las Vegas City Attorney’s Office

495 S. Main St.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Telephone: (702) 229.6629

Henderson City Attorney’s Office
240 S. Water St.
Henderson, NV 89015
Telephone: (702) 267.120

Reno City Attorney’s Office

1 E. First St. 3rd Floor
Reno, NV 89501
Telephone: (775) 334.2050

Washoe Legal Services

299 S. Arlington AveReno, NV 89509Telephone: (775) 329.2727


Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevada

904 N. Nevada St.Carson City, NV 89703

Telephone: (775) 883.8278


Protection Orders

Judicial Flow Chart

Animal Neglect / Animal Abuse


bottom of page